Saturday, October 25, 2008

Webs


Some people are horrified by spiders. They get the willies just THINKING about them. Sorry if I gave all of you the shivers. Some of my dearest friends are arachnophobes.

Other people are captivated and even awed by spiders. They study their eating habits, their web-making styles, and their impact on the earth’s eco system. They even create international academic clubs dedicated to photographing, studying, and writing about these arthropods.

I am not really afraid of the eight-legged invertebrates. I even admit to a minor fascination with them. But when I step off of my front porch at night and walk right into a spider’s web, the glory of it all is lost. A primal instinct kicks into gear. My arms start flinging wildly in the air. My body shivers all over. And some kind of hideous, guttural scream blerts out from somewhere deep in my gut. At that particular moment, it doesn’t matter that I have pondered the delicate beauty of dew droplets on a writing spider’s morning web. When I get a face full of spider web, the only thoughts I have are that the blasted creature might be running amok in my hair.

Some things can be glorious and wonderful when they are studied and appreciated in their academic splendor. But when they ambush us head-on, reflexes take over. I think relationships can be like that sometimes.

There are some relationships that are enticing. They draw us in with their color and artistry. They call to us with words that are flattering. They even meet our needs . . . they satisfy us . . . on an academic or an artistic or an emotional level. But they are dangerous. They weave a web that is patient and translucent. But they will not bring blessing and goodness to our lives, because their truth violates God’s Truth.

It is in foggy, trying, faith-stretching times that these relationships can totally bushwhack us. When we dare to step through the door of faith and walk confidently . . . even unsuspectingly . . . into unseen territory, the hidden webs of unhealthy friendships nab us. The very things that were beautiful and stimulating at daybreak become insidious and hard to disentangle from in the dusk. They counsel us with proverbs that are not God’s. They lure us into faithless acts with lovely, compelling arguments. Then they plaster us in the face with their sticky strands and send us convulsing into the dark.

God’s Word is trustworthy and true in its counsel. A wise person pays close attention to His advice. There are many scriptures that deal with relationships.

. . . a man of too many friends comes to ruin . . . do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals . . .

We should avoid spider-web relationships. And we should give the people that weave them a healthy, wise berth. Simply see them, give them a friendly nod, and walk the other way.

May we have the spiritual eyes to see every spider web . . . even at dusk.

Psalms 46:10-11
Lesa K. Reid

4 comments:

  1. I really liked when you said "the glory of it all is lost." That really summed things up. Those friendships and relationships truely do have a single moment when you reallize that you just stepped into something dangerous. You suddenly do an assesment to see where all you might have been corrupted, or deceived. Much like the way your skin becomes super sensitive and the slightest tikle triggers a reaction.


    ...so what is the symbolism of putting a spider in a Sunny D bottle? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT was a big spider you found on the job-site! And the symbolism of putting it into a Sunny D bottle . . . mmmmm . . . let me see . . . I think that one is very simple. You wanted to scare me! **grinning**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah. True of spiders, and VERY true of unhealthy alliances. Joining the two concepts was brilliant! We'll not forget it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sheila. I actually walked into a spider web a few nights ago and the idea of unhealthy acquaintances popped into my head after I finally finished flailing and shivering. Don't know what made my mind make the jump from spider webs to relationships, but the analogy kind of grew on me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!