Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Not Trite


Trite means: boring from much use; lacking in freshness and individuality; exhausted of interest

Sometimes I grow weary of trite things. Trite songs. Trite sentiments. Trite opinions. The imagery they draw of the Christian life is so monochrome.

For example, I prefer real sunrises to their romanticized, cinematic versions. Have you see a real sunrise lately? Even beautiful photographs can’t compare to the drama and glory of the real thing. You can actually feel the air begin to wake up as the early dawn warms from black to purple to red. And when the blazing sun majestically breaks over the horizon, you can almost hear yellow rays splashing onto the cool morning earth.

There are so many things in real living that are much grander than their hackneyed caricatures. Love has more texture and depth than its threadbare stylization. Real marriages are much fuller than novelized ones. Parenting is much more heroic than its fluffy, greeting card imagery. And genuine faith . . . true, stepping-into-the-heart-of-God-with-no-safety-net kind of believing . . . requires much, much more courage than wearing a WWJD bracelet.

I think triteness smothers the breath and even threatens to silence the very heartbeat of real, God-inspired living. When we buy the sentimentalized, merchandized versions of life, then real Life dies. And the only living that is left is fragile and shallow and dull.

I have a great affinity for genuine things. Real failures. Real triumphs. Real journeys. I find tremendous nourishment in hearing the stories real people tell of real struggles and real victories. Harry Gilreath, my dear friend Sheila’s father, is one of my favorite story tellers. I love to listen to him regale the adventures of his Appalachian upbringing. I actually feel a little sorry for those who haven’t spent an evening reminiscing with Harry. They’ve really missed something.

Here are some antonyms of trite:

animating, energizing, enlivening, exciting, galvanizing, invigorating, stimulating; absorbing, engaging, engrossing, gripping, interesting, intriguing, involving, atypical, extraordinary, uncommon, unusual, fresh, new, original

I think we should be these things. Step out of all the “Christian” boxes. Throw out the plastic-action-figure version of trite Christianity and truly Live. Real life can be gritty. It has unexpected bumps and turns. Sometimes it is downright messy. But it is so much better than empty platitudes. I think we should be anti triteness.

The Bible is not trite at all. Its stories are epic. Its language is vivid and rich.

Here’s what Jesus says:

"And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.
Matt 10:38-39 (NASB)

Here’s what the author of Hebrews says:

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith . . .
Heb 12:1-2 (NASB)

Here’s the psalmist’s proclamation:

Praise the LORD!
I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart,
In the company of the upright and in the assembly.
Great are the works of the LORD;

They are studied by all who delight in them.
Splendid and majestic is His work,

And His righteousness endures forever.
He has made His wonders to be remembered;

The LORD is gracious and compassionate.
Psalms 111:1-6 (NASB)

These are bold words. Active words. Challenging us to believe that life with God is more than we can see or understand with narrow selfishness. They call us to go further, reach higher, and live a life fuller than trite platitudes. They speak of real blessing and real glory. They draw us into expansive praise and worship of a God who is awesome and very real.

We should live like that.

Psalms 46:10-11
Lesa K. Reid

3 comments:

  1. I have seen *many* sunrises this fall...two since Sunday alone, and you are right, the atmosphere of eternity is in them! I love how the color of the sky changes, through the branches of my maple tree...at first, the only way I can describe the color is "brightening"...it is really not a color, yet. Then it gets pinkish-golden.

    It is the only time of day I can let my mind laze about...I do NOT go outside (well, in summer I do, if I am up at sunrise). I sit, in the warmth of my bedroom, and watch the colors and hear the semi-silence. (Any home with four other adults who get up for work cannot be absolutely silent...)

    And I pray. Always.

    But I love how the sounds are different, even my house-ish sounds. People tread more lightly...morning feet are sleepy. Doors even seem to open and shut in a hushed way, though no one tries to hush them.

    And my puppy gets in my lap. I am not in an irresistable hurry to get my day started...unless I lavishly and absolutely unashamedly oversleep. I have learned that mornings like to unfold...well, MY mornings do.

    But my favorite time of day will always be "the golden hour"...right after I cook up a big dinner, do all the dishes, and then twilight sets in.

    Wait. That's right now for me. I really have to go, now. I have a sunSET to also watch.
    Trite? Things that are trite?? Do *not* get me started.

    ::grinning::

    Altogether wonderful and thought provoking essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I typed this separately on purpose...didn't want it to get lost in my first, long comment.

    ISN'T MY DAD THE BEST??!

    Thanks, Lesa, for a post that means the world to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't spent a morning in your home, Sheila, but your description made me feel like I have. I can almost hear the quiet shuffling of sleepy morning feet ** grin **

    Now that I no longer teach school and my children all live away from home, my mornings can "unfold" a bit more slowly than they could in past years. I totally enjoy it. And I must confess, my poodles often convince me to curl back up in bed or snuggle under a soft blanket on the couch even after I should be proceeding with my day. Poodles are not a fan of early rising.

    And YES your dad IS THE BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!