Friday, October 10, 2008

Walking


Sometimes we need to waltz past the obvious. We simply need to say, “Excuse me, could you step aside, please? I have better things to do today than to dance with the blatant.”

The stock market is in bad shape.
This is an extremely important presidential election and everyone should vote.
Life is really hard sometimes.

There. State the obvious. Then move on. No sense dancing with it, worrying about it, or letting it ruin your perspective.

Walking is excellent for obviating the obvious. Striding through your neighborhood or hiking across hidden trails or wandering through a Kirkhaven field is simply good for you. Nothing bolsters the constitution like a great trek. And rambling slowly is best. Take your time, feel the breeze, listen to the birds, and stop to study every flower near your path. Or if you feel really daring, take a tramp at night under the stars.

Yes, I know that a brisk jaunt may be better for your health than a dallying stroll. I understand the rules of “heart-healthy” living. But what about your soul?

I think we should traipse often. Without an agenda. Without a schedule. Be extravagant. During these trying times when we must hurry and save and be careful and act responsibly, I believe we should waste something. Just carelessly throw our sensibilities to the wind and go on a long, slow walk.

These are difficult days. That is truly obvious.
But the Lord is faithful. That is obvious Truth.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;

He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,

And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever .
Psalms 23:1-6 (NASB)

Perhaps life itself should be an ambling meander with the Shepherd.

Psalms 46:10-11
Lesa K. Reid

5 comments:

  1. I can just let my mind wander to the walks I have taken through that path in the back and remember memories of mowing on the big tractor sitting on the side of it as David mows sippin on some crystal light lemonade and pausing to play on the tree swing. . . makes me want to meander through there again then get all sweaty and jump in the pool! next summer can't come soon enough! Thanks for reminding me of those times! have a great week. . . see you in about 10 weeks. . . . yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Rach, those were wonerful days! I look forward to sharing more southern summers with you! I miss you immensely. And the tractor misses Dave. And the riding mower misses you. Ha!

    See you at Christmas . . . ohhhhhh I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the mower misses driving over propane tanks for a thrill. . . oh wait maybe thats me! ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to tell ya, I laugh every time I walk past that scarred propane tank! You sure know how to leave your mark, dear. LOL At least the mower blade didn't creat a spark that set off the propane. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes...a gentle traipse in the field, culminating in the spectacle of a small brunette, a tractor, and an explosion...

    Life at Kirkhaven!!

    ::waving at Rach::

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!