Friday, May 22, 2009

Events and the Now


I want to be a person who can live in the moment. As I stop to think about it, I am astounded that after 50 years of life experience, I am still grappling with exactly how to be fully present . . . and fully alive . . . in my immediate “Now.” I have been anxious about the future. I have been nostalgic about the past. I have allowed myself far too much liberty in becoming stressed with the present. But I really don’t think I have mastered . . . in 50 years of living . . . the art of living Now.

I think I have fallen into the trap of living my life as a collection of events.

First there have been the planned events. They were prepared for. They were executed to the best of my ability. Then they were recorded and catalogued . . . in pictures or writings or memories. And they were finally relegated to the recesses of experience where I could access them for future planned events. Neatly packaged.

Then there have been the unplanned events. Some of them wonderfully waltzed into my life with the joy and laughter of a happy surprise. Some of them body-slammed me with the gut-wrenching horror of an unexpected shock. Some of them I have immensely enjoyed. Some of them I have barely survived. They too, of course, were still events . . . life happenings. Just not so neatly packaged.

But I am beginning to wonder if this “life-event” mentality is shortchanging me. If l have been living from one event to another . . . then what has been happening to the in-between times? It certainly cannot be possible that God is silent in-between. It cannot be possible that nothing important transpires in-between. It could, however, be possible that I am missing something in-between.

So . . . maybe . . . instead of life being a collection of events . . . maybe life is a progression of moments. And maybe life’s real challenge isn’t to have successful events but to find real Life in every moment.

If this is true, then my salvation is not just a life-changing event. It is more. It is an astounding moment-to-moment continuing journey with the Creator of the universe. Every moment of every day. Even when the only event happening is a lovely sunset or a quiet starry night.

And motherhood is not just an emotionally-charged birth. It is more. It is a committed, enduring relationship of ups and downs with someone who is so like me yet very much NOT me. Every moment of every day. Even when I haven’t spoken with my child in days . . . or weeks . . . or years.

And my father’s death isn’t just a final medical tragedy. It is more. It is the temporary postponement of a joyous reunion in eternity when there will be no more pain or worry or cancer. Every moment of every day. Even if I miss his laugh and his warm, assuring encouragement today.

DeVern Fromke, in his book Unto Full Stature puts it this way:

It is just here we see the glaring weakness in many fundamental circles. Too many emphasize the past-tense crisis act and almost ignore the privilege of the continuous present participation. They rejoice in the finished work, but know or seemingly care little about the continuous operation of Life within them by the Holy Spirit. It is one thing to have received “Life in the Son,” but it is sure an equal privilege to enjoy the vital participation in Life every day by His Spirit.

Vital participation in Life every day. By His Spirit. I think that is what I need.

Live in the moment. With Him. By Him. Because of Him. Every moment of every day.

Hear Him.
Appreciate Him.
Agree with Him.
Work with Him.
Rejoice with Him.
Let Him console you.
Be loved by Him.
And love Him back.
Through every event.
And especially in-between.

It is true, I think, that events are markers in the progression of our lives. But I am thinking that the stuff life is really made of is its moments. And true artistry is living each one to its fullest. In Him.

I want to be a person who can really live in the moment.

John 1:4
In Him is Life.

Psalms 46:10-11
Lesa K. Reid

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, thought-provoking post! What you wrote about living for events really challenged me. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I measure my life in terms of events far too much. I definitely need to be better about cherishing each moment and living in the present. Thanks for the challenge and the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Liz. May every moment in this exciting new chapter of your God-journey be filled . . . even more than ever before . . . with the beauty and the realness of His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesa, what a beautifully poignant and thought-stimulating post. Reminds me of that Jim Elliot quote: 'Wherever you are, be ALL there'. You have expanded on that thought so beautifully. I will be reading this again and again and sharing it with friends. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am honored that you came to Kirkhaven pathways to read my thoughts, dear Ann. And it was an absolute treat to see you face-to-face at the McConnell wedding! Your words of encouragement to Harvest women has sooooo blessed me these past couple of years. I was so glad to finally chat with you and to hug you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Lesa! This really spoke to me personally. Thanks for sharing your heart....

    Love you dearly,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful! The love of God changes not JUST our destiny (past crises event of the cross) but it changes our DAY (enabling us to live in the 'now')

    Thank you for such inspiring thoughts - I am decorating my mind with them today...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I . . . dearest friend . . . consider your friendship a precious, truly rare treasure. A kind of "decoration of the heart." I think the Lord is utterly lavish in His blessing of us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!