Monday, September 22, 2008

Barely Autumn


The first day of autumn quietly stretched over McNally Ridge this morning with the deep oranges and pinks of another Kirkhaven sunrise. There was only a slight September tinge to the air. As the warm morning sky yawned lazily across my East Tennessee hill-top, I knew it wouldn’t be chilly today.

Summer usually ambles slowly toward fall in east Tennessee. There is rarely any hurry. It gives the early fall breezes plenty of time to ruffle up the leaves on the maples and oaks in preparation for their grandest display of the year.

There is something deeply satisfying about the textures and the palette of this season. Rich, deep, crispy things fill autumn’s baskets and crates. Shorter days step briskly into cooler nights. And heavy harvest moons rise grandly into clear, starry nights.


For now, things are mostly still green.

Mostly still warm.

But it is coming . . . autumn in all its glory.

I can feel it.

And my heart is smiling already.


I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory.
Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You,

I will praise You as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

Psalms 63:2-4 (NIV)

Psalms 46:10-11
Lesa K. Reid

6 comments:

  1. I think it is quite hilarious how you said that fall coming is rarely in any hurry. . . . after submersing myself in southern culture. . . is ANYTHING in a hurry?!?!?! i think not. ha! miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think, dearest Rachel, that the slow, easy, deeply satisfying southern life is wonderfully seeping into your North Dakota soul. I miss you, too. And so does the South.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are lovely pictures from Kirkhaven! I can't wait for those crisp autumn colors and temperatures! Right now (prone to change, of course ;) ), the high on Friday is predicted to be 74 degrees. :) Autumn will be here full force before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post Lesa, it makes my heart smile. Were the photos yours?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Hannah. Yes, the photos are mine. I have decided to only use photos on my blog that I take. That's part of the challenge and the fun of blogging for me. However, if I do use a photo from another source, I will publish its source to give its author (if the author is known) credit for their work. By the way, YOU are a gifted photographer. I have seen your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Lesa!

    If anyone reads this and has never been to the couth they sure will get a craving whipped on them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!