Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Thunderstorm

I love a good thunderstorm.

huge, summer raindrops
pelting against my cloud-darkened windows

thunder crashing onto the ridge
and reverberating across Smoky Mountain foothills

random lightening
crackling across a shrouded, gray skyline

whooshing leaves
fluttering on bending trees



Then I love the shushed calmness that settles on Kirkhaven
when the storm passes.



Everything is drippy



and soggy



and wet.

 

A fresh scent of summer optimism hangs in the humid air.

And occasionally a translucent rainbow arcs across McNally ridge
as the sun breaks through dissipating clouds.


Sometimes fears loom menacingly at the edges of my thoughts.

Sometimes days are hectic and far too overscheduled.
Sometimes life is hard and heart-breakingly sad.

But sometimes the perfect rainstorm happens.

And I am refreshed.
And renewed.

And very, very grateful
for solitary moments
with an intimately personal God
in the midst of a raging storm
that ends with such
quiet
perfect
peace.




The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace,
Because he trusts in You.
Trust in the LORD forever,
For in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock.
Isaiah 26:3-4

2 comments:

  1. I love the view in your backyard. I got no ridges here in Cowtown, so I have to head west to get views once or twice a year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!