Wednesday, December 16, 2009

We



Thursday, December 17th is our wedding anniversary.  I have been married for more than half of my life.  And as I think about our years together, I am not feeling sentimental or sappy or teary.  I am not wondering, "Wow, where has the time gone?"  Instead, a rich, deep contentment fills my heart and wraps around my soul like a soft, warm blanket.  I have been married for 26 years to my best friend.  What could be better than that?

I know that when you are young you dream about a "knight in shining armor" sweeping you off your feet.  But I am older now, and fairy tales just seem too shallow and crass.  I don't need to be charmed and dazzled.  Things like that are too fragile.  I prefer real things, like honesty, generosity, and humor.  And enduring things like strength of character and wisdom.  My husband is much more real and much more interesting than a storybook prince.  He is a very good man.

I treasure the memories we have together.  And I love the history we have built.  But the things I enjoy most are the moments we have now.  This day.  This project.  This fireside chat.  I have time to savor things now.  These just might be our best years yet.

So here are some things that I love about us right now.


Only I can finish his sentences.
Only he might guess where I have lost my reading glasses or my keys . . . again.
Only I know when he is really happy or when he has been really hurt.
Only he knows the difference between my "happy quiet" and my "sad quiet."

We can be just as content sitting together on our back porch as we are sitting side-by-side on the deck of a cruise ship.
We are both a bit eccentric.
We both love beautiful things.
And we both find great satisfaction in a job well done.

We struggle through the hard things together and we relish the lovely things together.
We work together.We relax together.

Together is pretty much who we are.

I really have no idea what the future has in store,but I know that I want to spend it with my husband.
My best friend.

“We”
is so much richer and fuller
than just him
or just me.

And he loves me.
And I love him.
What could be better than that?

Cinderella with her prince and glass slipper never had it this good.

Psalms 46:10-11
Lesa K. Reid

2 comments:

  1. this is such a sweet post. congratulations on 26 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely portrait of Randy and Lesa! This, I guess, is the day your FB pic was taken, no?
    We did miss hooking up with you when we were in Kville -- we were hard-pressed to get all the errands run that were necessary for Jonathan's travel prep!! Whew. He's ready and very excited. Drop me an email update on the Reids! Angela.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!